Networker

Re: [Networker] How do you configure single saveset stream on multiple tapes?

2005-06-29 07:44:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] How do you configure single saveset stream on multiple tapes?
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:38:40 -0500
Thanks Barb for the update.  I received the same information from Legato
support this morning.   <sigh> Guess we'll have to wait a while longer.
</sigh>
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             Barbara Zahn
             <barbarazahn@YAHO
             O.COM>                                                     To
             Sent by: Legato           NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE                                     Subject
             RV.TEMPLE.EDU>            Re: [Networker] How do you
                                       configure single saveset stream on
                                       multiple tapes?
             06/28/2005 04:32
             PM

             Please respond to
             Legato NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE
              RV.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
               Barbara Zahn
             <barbarazahn@YAHO
                  O.COM>

Save -M is not supported, if save set is spanned on several volumes you
cannot recover from 2nd or third volume, run mminfo -avot after the backup.

Barb

Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM> wrote:
What? Version 7.1.x of Unix or Windows . By undocumented (never heard
of it) do you mean unproven/experimental? Are you using it in production
with anything?

Are you saving this splits a savestream into 4 sessions as seen in the
nwadmin? ie..the sessions could go to seperate tapes (as the user here
wants)?

It seems odd that this feature is not documented/advertised.. anyone using
it??

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:47:12 +0200, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lars_T=F6rnblom?=
wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>In NetWorker 7.1x it exist an undocumented feture. Called MBS (Multiple
Balance Streams) save -M 4 /BigFileSystem , for four streams of
/BigFileSystem.

>Br/Lars

On
Behalf Of Robert Maiello
>Sent: den 27 juni 2005 19:03
>To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>Subject: Re: [Networker] How do you configure single saveset stream on
multiple tapes?

>If the saveset cannot be split up because the directories are changing
>a hack could be a script that queries the volume, gets a list of say
>top level directories, and then uses nsradmin to modify the saveset list
>of the client. Finally a backup is run with this client definition.
>A hack in the true sense of the word..
>
>A compromise that I did on Netware once was to have 2 client definitions.
>One client definition is split into top level directories for several
>save streams.
>
>The other defintion is saveset ALL, with a directive skipping all the
>savesets in other definition. The saveset ALL picks up new directories
>that the first definition misses.
>
>The real answer is to get the saveset size down for supportablility.
>

>How many days does your 2TB saveset run? Backing up to what type of drive.
>(Just curious).
>
>Robert Maiello
>Pioneer Data Systems
>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:21:09 -0400, Raph wrote:
>
>>How do you configure single saveset stream on multiple tapes. The
>>majority of our data is a 2.0 tb NTFS file system. At the root are almost
>>1200 folders. This poses an issue when it comes to utilizing the 4 Tape
>>drives simultaneously. There is no simple way to break this up into save
>>sets, as they are constantly being added and removed as projects come and
>>go. Do you know of anyway to make networker use all 4 drives?
>>
>>--
>>Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via email
>>to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
>>http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
>>also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
>>should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu
>>=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
>
>--
>Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via email
>to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
>http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
>also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
>should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu
>
>--
>Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via email
>to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
>http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
>also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
>should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Yahoo! Sports