Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering from multiple savesets in parrallel

2005-06-09 17:13:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering from multiple savesets in parrallel
From: Eric Wagar <eric AT DEADHOOKERS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:13:09 -0700
I just started a restore that read multiple savesets at the same time.
I recall noticing parallel recovers after we upgraded from 6.0.2 to
7.1.2.  At 6.0.2, I'm pretty sure they were serial.

Isn't there a file you can touch in /nsr/debug on the server that will
enable parallel restores?  I can't remember the file name and it's not
turning up doing a `strings' on the nsr*d binaries, but you could probably figure it out by doing a truss (or your platform's equivalent, e.g. strace
on Linux) on `nsrd' with the `-f' option on your server, and then do
a recover of a single file.  You should see one of the daemons involved
in the process call either "access()" or "open()" or "stat()" on one or
more files in /nsr/debug.  One of those is the file that enables parallel
recovers.
The ability to recover multiply is called "striped recover". But, it's not a multiple saveset, it's from multiple tapes. Not the same thing.

It is on by default in 7.x, and you can turn it off by 'touch /nsr/debug/no_striped_recover' on the server.

It used to be that Networker would recover files from multiple savesets
at once (for instance, it would recover files from /u01, /u02, /u03,
and /u04 at the same time). Currently, however, Networker recovers them serially - it will recover files from one saveset (say, /u01), and, when
it completes that, it will start recovering files from the second
saveset (say /u02), and so on.