Networker

Re: [Networker] How fast are you getting on SDLT 320?

2005-06-03 17:21:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] How fast are you getting on SDLT 320?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:18:40 -0400
Alan> I just had Quantum set up two SDLT 320's in an M2500 tape
Alan> library. The tech told me they were only good for 16 MB/s each.
Alan> I am only getting about 8 or 9 MB/s together. My server is
Alan> running Windows 2003 with the tape library connected by fiber
Alan> channel, running networker 7.1. on a switched network with
Alan> server and clients all with 100mb nic cards. My switch and
Alan> router guys are monitoring the ports and seeing 60 and 70 mb/s
Alan> going to the server. I have the server Parallism set at 6, the
Alan> two tape devices have target sessions at 4 and the client
Alan> Parallelism at 4.  I see some conversation out there about
Alan> compression. I am not sure what to do there?  Help....Looking
Alan> for the bottleneck!!!!!

We've got a similar setup, and we're seeing more along the lines of
25-35mb/s to our SDLT320 drives.  That's with compression turned on,
so the tech is right, the raw speed to tape is probably just 16mb/s,
but I'm not sure.

100mbit/s network (100baseT) can only push 12.5Mbyte/sec max, and you
will never see that rate, 10Mbytes/sec would be considered great.

In any case, I'd up the server parallelism to 16 or more, and the tape
drives to 8 each.  Leave the client parallelism along for now.

John
    John Stoffel - Senior Staff Systems Administrator - System LSI Group
  Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc. - http://www.toshiba.com/taec
             john.stoffel AT taec.toshiba DOT com - 508-486-1087