Networker

Re: [Networker] problem adding second nic

2005-06-02 04:32:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] problem adding second nic
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 04:32:39 -0400
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:40:33 -0500, Jeff Mery <jeff.mery AT NI DOT COM> wrote:

>Would IPMP help here?  It seems that you'd get your  redundancy as well as
>the added benefit of more bandwidth.
>
>To all...
>        ...Are there any reasons you would *not* want to use IPMP on
>either your storage nodes or Legato Servers?  We are planning to implement
>it here, but were wondering about any gotcha's.
>
>Jeff Mery - MCSE, MCP
>National Instruments

It depends on what is being done if the 2nd NIC is faster than the first
IPMP should be set up to only use the 2nd NIC if the 1st fails, if the 2
NICs are the same speed IPMP will give you fail over and more bandwidth
for outgoing traffic - NB from a sun doc
" Load spreading occurs only when the network traffic is flowing to
multiple destinations using multiple connections."
So it won't help backups at all and only help if you are recovering
multpile clients.

Go with Davina on this
- one warning in 6.1.x, with two NICs on two networks that couldn't route
to each other, I found that Oracle backups did not honour the "Server
network interface" value!! It worked for filesystem backups only after 5-
10 minutes of trying to connect to the primary NIC for the backup server
(ie. the one that networker server software was configured with as the
backup server host name).