Networker

Re: [Networker] problem adding second nic

2005-06-01 10:41:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] problem adding second nic
From: Jeff Mery <jeff.mery AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:40:33 -0500
Would IPMP help here?  It seems that you'd get your  redundancy as well as
the added benefit of more bandwidth.

To all...
        ...Are there any reasons you would *not* want to use IPMP on
either your storage nodes or Legato Servers?  We are planning to implement
it here, but were wondering about any gotcha's.

Jeff Mery - MCSE, MCP
National Instruments

"Allow me to extol the virtues of the Net Fairy, and of all the fantastic
dorks that make the nice packets go from here to there. Amen."
TB - Penny Arcade

Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
06/01/2005 05:34 AM
Please respond to
Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please
respond to
Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

g. henry wrote:
> hello all,
> networker (5.5.1 on solaris/sparc) works.
> On storage node, i added a second nic, idem on client.
> Before, i had:
> storage node: machine1
> client: machine 2
>
> and after:
> storage node: machine1-backup
> client: machine2-backup
>
> but when i tried to backup client, it exited
> 06/01/05 11:01:04 savegrp: command 'savefs -s machine1 -c
machine2-backup -g
> Default -p -l full -R -v -F /export/home/henry/test ' for client
> machine2-backup exited with return code 9.
> 06/01/05 11:01:04 savegrp: machine2-backup:probe unexpectedly exited.
> * machine2-backup:/export/home/henry/test Host machine1-backup cannot
> request command execution
>
> i don't understand why command savefs continues to use old storgae node
name?

When you refer to storage node, you are in fact talking about the
NetWorker server, is that right?

The error message indicates that the client is not allowing a backup to
be initiated from the NEW name of the server. To fix this you need to
add machine1-backup to the servers file on machine2, and restart
NetWorker on machine2.

If you want to force the backup traffic from savefs to go via the backup
network you will need to modify the "server network interface" field for
the client, or possibly the storage node affinity list for the client.