Networker

Re: [Networker] Batch file and script

2005-05-27 13:08:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Batch file and script
From: Eric Wagar <eric AT DEADHOOKERS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:53:29 -0700
Why not use the savesets and schedules?

I have a server that has a total of 1.1TB of disk space. I then have different client setups for each filesystem. From there, no two filesystems have fulls on the same day.

This may defeat your purpose if you need them backed up on the same day for DR purposes.

Marten brings up a good point about all systems involved being able to handle what you want. Previously, the backup server and the above client could not handle a complete system full backup. Now, after FC and gigE upgrades, the backup server can. The client has a few 100BT interfaces bonded together, so I know it can support it. The client's underlying FC array (old Clariion) can support the speed needed.

HTH
Eric

Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL) wrote:
Andrew,

If I understand correctly you want to create a script that lets you backup a subtree in 3 parts separate from the normal backup of that volume e.g.

master_volume = X:\ Subtree = X:\all_data\bigdata

and you want to split the Subtree into 3 parts
e.g.

Subtree_1 = X:\all_data\bigdata\[a-k]*
Subtree_2 = X:\all_data\bigdata\[l-s]*
Subtree_3 = X:\all_data\bigdata\[[t-z]*

So now you have in total 4 subtrees on this volume

You allso expect to run Subtree_1 to 3 at the same time and so expect a faster backup.

Questions that come to mind:

Can your volume where the data is stored handle 3 datastreams of each 500GB in paralell and can your infrastructure (network and target disk) handle it
what times would you like to archieve?

I have a smaller subtree that I need to backup separately and have chosen to skip that subtree during regular backups with a skip statement.

/volume/data1
/volume/data2

so I use a .nsr at /volume having skip: data2

then I have a separate client entry for this client that only backs up /volume/data2. to schedule the second client entry one could create a separate group that can be started with a nsradmin script

like . type: nsr group; name MYGROUP
update autostart: start now