Networker

Re: [Networker] Batch file and script

2005-05-27 10:45:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Batch file and script
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:45:13 +0200
Andrew,

If I understand correctly you want to create a script that lets you backup a
subtree in 3 parts separate from the normal backup of that volume
e.g.

master_volume = X:\
Subtree = X:\all_data\bigdata

and you want to split the Subtree into 3 parts
e.g.

Subtree_1 = X:\all_data\bigdata\[a-k]*
Subtree_2 = X:\all_data\bigdata\[l-s]*
Subtree_3 = X:\all_data\bigdata\[[t-z]*

So now you have in total 4 subtrees on this volume

You allso expect to run Subtree_1 to 3 at the same time and so expect a faster
backup.

Questions that come to mind:

Can your volume where the data is stored handle 3 datastreams of each 500GB in
paralell and can your infrastructure (network and target disk) handle it
what times would you like to archieve?

========================

I have a smaller subtree that I need to backup separately and have chosen to
skip that subtree during regular backups with a skip statement.

/volume/data1
/volume/data2

so I use a .nsr at /volume
having skip: data2

then I have a separate client entry for this client that only backs
up /volume/data2.

to schedule the second client entry one could create a separate group that can
be started with a nsradmin script

like
. type: nsr group; name MYGROUP
update autostart: start now

=============================

Is this making any sense?

Maarten

On Friday 27 May 2005 16:03, Andrew Bridgeman wrote:
> I am running Windows Legato 7.1.3 and i have been asked to create a batch
> file/Script (of which i have never done before) to automate a batch file to
> directory our /projects drive and feed the results into a backup script.
>
> The reason for this is that in our /projects directory we have 150
> directories and it is taking way to long to backup as it is 1.7TB in size
> so we need a good way of separating them out in the backups. We need to
> split one saveset of 1.7TB into three so that we have three savesets going
> to disk at the same time which means it will finish quicker.
>

> Could someone please help me on how i acheive this, maybe someone already
> has this sort of thing in place and could send me a copy of the
> batch/script or just some advice on a resource i can use to write something
> to do this job. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Bridgeman
>
> --
> to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam