Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up GSX Server - Reconfiguring Ports

2005-05-26 19:35:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up GSX Server - Reconfiguring Ports
From: Siobhan Ellis <Siobhan.Ellis AT ENSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:27:49 +1000
A pity here that the customer is not using ESX. With ESX it is possible to
put disks into Redo mode (Essentially freezing them and then creating a
transaction log) and then backing up the vmdk (Virtual disk file)from the
ESX server. When the backup is complete, then Committing the redo log. This
is not possible with GSX. You can suspend a machine, but not keep it
running.

Now it just so happens that we are going into shrink wrap beta with the
software that integrates with ESX server to do this. I would suggest that
your customer upgrades to ESX and then they can do what they want.

Siobhán Ellis
Senior Technology Consultant
Enstor
Level 10, 118 Alfred St
Milsons Point
NSW 2061
Australia

Mobile: +61 424 750 544
Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au

>>> jekstrom AT SANZ DOT COM 27/05/2005 12:05:05 am >>>

I've got a customer who is running 7 virtual machines on 1 physical host.
He doesn't want to shut down his vms in order to do the backup.

I originally planned on installing clients on each vm, then excluding the
vm directories from physical host's saveset, but 2 of his vms are NATed and
I can't networker to backup more than one of them as we can't put in more
than one port-forwarding rule.

So I need to know 2 things, can you backup vm directories while they are
running? Maybe use OFM or some sort of workaround.

Can you reconfigure the ports that certain clients listen on? Can you
configure networker to only initiate that client's savesets over that port?