Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed of networker backups to disk.

2005-05-24 05:30:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed of networker backups to disk.
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:32:19 +0200
I have found that people associate disk-backup with high expectations of speed
but fail to recognize all the factors involved.

Lets recapitulate a bit (yes I know I sound patronizing)

Factors in expecting speed:

1 How fast is your disk locally:

Make a local backup or a clone or stage this gives you a high expectation of
speed (I get 30 Mb/sec on my Sun, but only in local disk to tape transfers)

2 How fast is a remote full backup

Take a big machine with a few BIG files 2-10 GB is a good start and do a FULL
backup. expect anything under network-speed/10 so on my 100Mbit/s net I start
at a possible max speed of 10MBytes/sec, it will never get faster due to the
laws of physics.

Usually there is significant overhead in the remote machines disk layout and
the smaller the files get the more overhead you must expect in networkers
protocoll. (rule of thumb anything above 5M/s is quite fine)

If the server has many small files expect horrible performance sometimes down
to kbytes/second. remember your receiving disks can be fast but the
delivering protocoll is not, as it has difficulties processing the individual
files.

3 Now test remote incremental backup
Expect even slower performance (if having lots of small files) than point 2.
It takes time to find the next changed file, so backups can become very slow
unless you happen to have very big files that change.

Remember to make some basline test first on your local hardware, it helps you
to get realistic expectations.

(Hope nobody got overly offended by my ramblings)

Maarten

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 10:22, Andrew Bridgeman wrote:
> I have 10 Clients set-up, 6 backup large amounts of data and 4 backup small
> amounts of data ( 10 minutes worth ). I have the devices set to 10 target
> sessions and the clients set to 6 parallelism. The disks are 1 TB
> partitions sata disks ntfs basic setup. Do you think i should change any of
> these settings or are they alright?
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Bridgeman
>
> --
> to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam