Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with Staging in 7.2

2005-05-24 02:32:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with Staging in 7.2
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT gmail DOT com>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:27:38 +1000
Hi Carl,

> Thanks for the tip, Preston; I had recently concluded that an "upgrade" to
> 7.1.3 would be my next step, if I don't find an answer.
>
> Actually, I've since determined that it appears that it's the 5.x flavor
> savesets that are messing up the staging.  Once I manually staged off all
> the Exchange savesets from a 2.0-006 Module, the automatic staging kicked
> in like clockwork.
>
> I assume that a Hotfix similar to the one to recover >2GB savesets is
> required for cloning/staging, but at least I've got a workaround.

Actually I've not seen a hotfix come out for that one, though I've
seen the problem occur with NetWare savesets. - in general it can
happen whenever you have a continuation saveset.

<might be construed as an ad - apologies in advance>

In the end I got somewhat tired of some of the limitations of the
Legato staging policies and wrote (on behalf of my company) an
enhanced stage manager program which resolves all sorts of issues -
including the problem you described there by "stepping around" those
sorts of savesets - i.e., isolating them and staging them
individually. The stage manager addressed a lot of conventional issues
with NetWorker staging including:

- Device contention - NetWorker just stages "whenever", even if the
disk backup devices are busy;
- All or nothing - NetWorker stages everything that's eligible in one
hit, making it very annoying if you hit a bad saveset 99% through a
1TB stage; ours instead does percentage based staging, freeing up disk
space faster;
- Volume cleaning;
- Bad saveset detection - NetWorker has some "feature" which results
in a (rare) situation where you can have a saveset referenced in the
media database which does not exist on the disk backup unit - this can
result in a situation where nsrd coredumps (unpatched) or nsrmmd
aborts the staging (patched)
- ...and so on...

(If you're interested in knowing more, let me know and I'll throw you
a brochure off-list for all the features - if you're staging a lot it
may help you out.)

</might be construed as an ad - apologies in advance>

Cheers,

-Preston.