Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup problems

2005-05-20 07:42:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup problems
From: Srinivas Rao <rsrini AT BLR.PIN.PHILIPS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:11:45 +0530
Hi Jon,
ISSUE 1:
What version of OFM are you using? Which Antivirus are you using? Are you
running SQL server in these clients? There are some potential issues with
earlier versions of OFM with antivirus. Upgrading OFM to the latest version
can solve this.

ISSUE 2:
Update NIC drivers of the failed systems. Also make sure that speed should
be set to max(eg..100MB / 1000MB etc) and duplex should be set to full on
both Networker client end and even on switch end.

Regards,
Srinivas.

I am having a couple of different issues that I was hoping someone could
help me out with.  We are running Networker 7.1.3 server is running on
Linux.

ISSUE 1:

I have two Windows NT clients that when ever we start the backup the
clients just hang.  The backups start but nothing is written to tape.
The clients will then become unusable and have to be rebooted.  We are
also running OFM on these two clients.  This was an intermittent problem
but now it happens every time.

ISSUE 2:

This issue happens on clients running HPUX 11.0, Red Hat 3.0, and
windows 2003.  These clients backup to nearline attached to the Netwoker
server.  Some of them go over a private Gig network and some go over our
regular network.  It seems that during the run of the groups we will get
the following message

* cortdata:C:\ save: RPC error: RPC send operation failed.  A network
connection could not be established with the host.
This will happen to random savesets of the clients and may not happen
each run.  When it does, that saveset will not get backed up.  Other
save sets will continue with no problem.  It can happen with no matter
the number of clients in group or number of savesets being backed up.

Any insight to these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon