Networker

Re: [Networker] Tuning of Networker 7.1.2

2005-05-10 13:09:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tuning of Networker 7.1.2
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:07:21 +0200
Small extra question what and how

How often a full of each client and then: incr level 1?

At my site I have configured each client or even each dataset of very big
clients into a separate day for full backup. And we do a full once a month.
So that gives me approx 30 Schedules called FULL_01 to FULL_30. I make sure
(with some experience over been in this environment 10 years) that no 2 big
fulls run on the same day. Several smaller fulls are no problem though.

On all other days we run incremental and once a week a level backup, so that
becomes F,i,i,i,i,i,i,1,i,i,i,i,i,i,1,i,i,i,i,i,i,1,i,i,i,i,i,i for a months
periode after that we start again with Full.

In this way I donot endup with a lumpy machine having 2T of data wanting to do
a full backup completely but as it has its data devided into 10 segments I
can do 10 days of fulls each segment separate. (hope you get the drift).

Maarten

On Saturday 07 May 2005 14:43, Osay Osman Yuuni wrote:
> We're running Networker 7.1.2 at our site with an ADIC Scalar i2000 with 4
> LTO II drives.  We have DDS for the four drives and 7 storage nodes.  We
> also have a particular requirement to send Full backups of our production
> servers offsite daily.   I have therefore configured a Save Group for
> Windows, one for HPUX and one for Linux.  The total amount of data backed
> up is 1.5TB.  We have a backup windows of just 8 hours.  Normally the
> backups should successfully complete in this window.  However I often have
> backups running well into the next day.  I have grouped the Windows
> production servers into the W2KFull save group which can be backed up by
> two dedicated storage nodes.  The HPUX servers are also grouped together
> and can be backed up by three dedicated storage nodes.  Some of the W2K
> server however need to be backed up through the LAN on the Networker server
> which is also a dedicated storage node.  Is there a way to improve the
> performance to have all the data backed up in the 8 hour window?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam