Networker

Re: [Networker] Red Hat SCSI adapter - Urgent Help

2005-05-03 04:16:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Red Hat SCSI adapter - Urgent Help
From: Per Kristiansen <per AT GATHERING DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:10:03 +0200
On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:05:58AM -0600, Librado Pamintuan wrote:
> Problem solved.
> I got it working last Friday, after talking to LSI Logic support. The adapter
> is shipped with the BIOS programmed as  RAID controller, even if I disable
> the RAID function on the card, still the server and library detects it as a
> RAID controller.  And what ADIC tech. support advised, the card/adapter that
> controls the tape library should not be a RAID controller. So LSI Logic
> advised me to download a BIOS firmware and re-load it on the adapter to
> remove the RAID BIOS. After doing this BIOS update, even without configuring
> the Adapter, it automatically detects the speed setting of 160Mbps required
> by the tape library. I also loaded the driver which is available in RPM from
> LSI Logic and just recompiled our current kernel to include this new
> module/driver.
> All is well now and working good. There was a time, that when I was testing
> the backups of Windows servers using the new card, the tape drive throughput
> soared up to 250 to 300Mbps.
>
> Lesson learned - be sure about the adapter you are about to purchase and
> install.
>
> thanks to all your feedback/input.
> Librado

gonna add something to this.

I've just been through the same scenario, but with RAID arrays , not tapes.
LSI mega raid had serious issues with seeing the arrays, after a quick word
with LSI Tech
(they were FAST!) they rcommended a "standard SCSI Adapter" and hey presto!..
it worked..

--
Per Kristiansen
per AT gathering DOT org