Networker

[Networker] We're getting closer

2005-04-27 15:32:27
Subject: [Networker] We're getting closer
From: Ken Gehring <kgehring AT MYREALBOX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:26:31 -0400
Well, we're getting closer to resolving our problem previously posted under
"Very Frustrating Problem"

To recap

We are running Networker 6.1.4 (upgraded from 6.1.3 etc) on RedHat AS 3.0
with the kernel 2.4.21-15.ELsmp (needed this older kernel for SAN
connectivity). The Jukebox is a Storagetek L-80 with 8 SDLT drives (set up 2
per scsi channel and the picker on its own channel). The scsi cards are 2
LSI . The computer is an HP ML370 with 6GB of memory and about 200GB of disk
and dual  2.8GHz processors.
We changed out the Adaptec cards we had for LSI cards after reading a post
by George Sinclair (thanks George).
We now have 1 problem left.
Very often, networker starts a drive operation and it takes 3 to 8 hours to
complete. The operation can be just about anything, eject, move forward,
verify the tape etc. It's like networker sent the command to the drive, but
the drive never got it. When this happens, the nsrmmd for that drive gets
locked into an uninteruptable i/o state. If we stop networker, the nsrmmd
for that drive still hangs around and no amount of killing will get rid of
it. This problem happens at various times on all drives. The only resolution
so far seems to be a reboot. We have a call open with legato on this and are
in the process of opening a call with Red Hat.
Is there any sort of retry timer we can set for the tape operations?
Would an upgrade to 7.1.3 help?
Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance
Ken Gehring