Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows 2000 box won't boot after recovery

2005-04-26 16:38:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows 2000 box won't boot after recovery
From: Jeff Mery <jeff.mery AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:24:26 -0500
Now that you mention it, you do have to be local admin.  In addition, when
the system is rebuilt to its original OS and Service Pack level, it should
*not* be added to its domain before the recovery.  (This was true for 6.x
should be for 7.x too).

When the new build is added to the domain with the same name as the
original, the SID of the machine account on the domain is changed.  When
the SYSTEM_STATE is recovered over the new build, the local machine's SID
is changed back to the original at the time of the last backup applied
(SYSTEM_STATE is always a Full backup).  When you reboot to complete the
recovery, you can't get on the domain because the SID's don't match.  If
you don't add the machine to the domain before the recovery (and hence use
a local administrator account), the SID of the machine is overwritten with
the proper SID so when it reboots, there aren't any mismatches.

The work-around if you add the system first and then restore is to drop
the machine from the domain and re-add it or reset the secure channel (AD
environment).  If you do the recover the recommended way, it saves you
these steps (....and reboots).

Not adding it to the domain works because Legato doesn't care about domain
membership; just user account rights & permissions.  We have done this
*many* times both testing and when we needed it with no problems.

Jeff Mery - MCSE, MCP
National Instruments

"Allow me to extol the virtues of the Net Fairy, and of all the fantastic
dorks that make the nice packets go from here to there. Amen."
TB - Penny Arcade

Ernst Bokkelkamp <ernst AT BOKKELKAMP DOT DE>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/26/2005 03:12 PM
Please respond to
Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please
respond to
Ernst Bokkelkamp <ernst AT BOKKELKAMP DOT DE>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Windows 2000 box won't boot after recovery

If I remember correctly this is your problem:

>The only thing I can think of is that we we're logged in as the domain
>administrator and not the local admin. when we ran the recovery. Not
>sure this would make a difference?

I am sure that the documentation states that it must be a local admin
because we ran into a similar problem.
I've looked for a reference but the only thing I could find is on page 34
of
the 7.2 release notes for Windows.

Bye
Ernie