Networker

[Networker] Windows 2000 box won't boot after recovery

2005-04-26 15:51:12
Subject: [Networker] Windows 2000 box won't boot after recovery
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:52:19 -0400
Hi,

We had a Windows 2000 machine (service pack 4 with latest updates as of
a week ago) whose hard drive failed last week. It was running an NTFS
file system. The hard drive died sometime after the most recent 'full'
backups were run. There were no subsequent backups after the fulls,
however. Our primary backup server is running on Solaris.

We installed a new drive in the same box and reinstalled Windows 2000 OS
with service pack 4, but no later updates. Also used NTFS file system,
same as before. This system has the same host name as the old one, too.
We then installed Legato NetWorker client and ran the recover utility to
recover the following "full" savesets from the previous client:

C:\
E:\
SYSTEM DB
SYSTEM STATE
SYSTEM FILES

We recovered E:\ first, followed by C:\ and then selected all of the
last three special savesets, and NetWorker basically chose the order to
recover those guys in. We did have 'overwrite and no further prompts'
selected. The recovery went smoothly, but when we rebooted the machine,
it got about half way through the boot process and hung; the progress
meter stopped about half way across. We waited a long time, but no
further action. We then power cycled the host. Same problem again. What
should we do now? Any ideas why this would happen? Would appreciate any
advice.

The only thing I can think of is that we we're logged in as the domain
administrator and not the local admin. when we ran the recovery. Not
sure this would make a difference?

I'm still not sure I understand just how NetWorker can recover older
data back on top of newer stuff and still expect things to work. How
does it manage such choreography?

George