Networker

Re: [Networker] Retention policy expired but volume not accessible for backup

2005-04-18 12:21:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Retention policy expired but volume not accessible for backup
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:17:54 -0400
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Leontyev Alexander wrote:

>Good day.
>Our retention policy for client  is  expired, but volume retain old
>expiration date (after 2 days later).
>
>Volume not marked as "recycl" automaticaly.
>
>Networker administrator wrote message:
>"media event: waiting for one writable volume to backup pool..."
>
>Recycle policy for all volumes set as "automatic", "volume priority =
>NearLine", we use one autoloader. Networker server version 6.1.4.
>
>After manual change volume mode to "recycl" backup started and completed.
>
>How to resolve this problem?

Alexander,

A tape volume becomes recyclable ONLY when all the savesets on that volume
AND all of its dependencies become recyclable. The volume you asked about
probably has one or more savesets on it that have not been marked
recyclable yet due to one or more of those saveset's dependencies (a level
backup or incremental) not being marked as recyclable yet.