Networker

Re: [Networker] Schedules

2005-04-15 11:27:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Schedules
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:23:15 -0500
On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 03:39:48PM +0100, Davina Treiber wrote:
> I suppose it's not too bad if you put some low level backups in on a
> weekly basis, with higher levels or incrementals daily. The real
> nightmare scenario would be a monthly full and daily incrementals, and
> the server that goes down the day before the next full. I would not wish
> to run a restore that needed a full and 30 incrementals to provide a
> point-in-time recovery.

We were worried about that too... Doing a quarterly full and having to
do a full restore from the day before the next full.  However, because
of our intermediate levels it's not that bad.  The monthlies are a level
3, and the weeklies are a level 5.  So, to do a full backup in the worst
case it's the full tapes, the last level 3, the last level 5, and all
the daily incrementals since that weekend (no more than 6.)

However, as you said in your previous message, making sure a machine
that misses a level 3 or level 5 doesn't keep getting incrementals is
very important.  Otherwise, the dependency chain gets messed up and
media doesn't recycle.  Some of the larger day-to-day time I spend with
Networker is tracking failures and moving them in/out of the rotation.

This was all with DLT.  With LTO3, and new policies for shorter
retention times, I bet we'll adjust this.  Even so, I can't imagine the
media involved for us to do a full backup of all of our systems every
week or two.

Dave