Networker

Re: [Networker] Duplicate Host Names

2005-03-31 13:59:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Duplicate Host Names
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:53:48 -0500
Phil> I am having a few rather big issues with a load of servers I am
Phil> trying to backup (and restore too). All the issues are related
Phil> to duplicate server hostnames (i.e. the 'short name' not the
Phil> FQDN) they are all Windows 2003.

So use the FQDN as the hostname inside Legato for the clients.

Phil> I have two seperate AD's (i.e. no communication between them)
Phil> and a backup server which sits outside both of these AD's. In
Phil> each of the AD's I has a servers called.

Phil> db-01.domain1.name
Phil> db-01.domain2.name

Phil> and

Phil> db-02.domain1.name
Phil> db-02.domain2.name

They better not have dots (.) in their names, you've just broken DNS
and other stuff.  Active directory domains have no relation to DNS
domains, which is what Legato is using to keep track of which hosts
have which names and which filesystems.

Phil> Basically Legato does not seem to want to backup these servers
Phil> correctly or to the correct Index. It also wants the alias db-01
Phil> added to both servers which Networker does not like.

Phil> Has anyone ever come across this issue before and apart from
Phil> renaming the server does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix
Phil> this?

I think that using the FQDN would be the answer here,  what's the
default DNS domain of the Networker server and of the clients?

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding your setup completely?

John