Networker

Re: [Networker] Microsoft Exchange 2003 backups

2005-03-30 17:43:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Microsoft Exchange 2003 backups
From: Tarik El Mansouri <etarik AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:37:20 +0200
Hello,
The best strategy for backuping Exchange 2003 will be do be able to protect
your data against a
large data lost or a small data lost.
1. To protect against large data lost, you will need to backup :
- the Information Store
  can be backuped up individually
- the Storage Groups, do not backup databases individually it is not
recommeneded.
  storage groups can be backed up individually if you want to achieve better
performance
2. In case of small data lost, one mail for instance, if you only backup the
storage group, you
will have to set up a recovery storage group (cf Microsoft docs), recover the
storage group to the
recovery SG and recover the mail. Very Long and complex!
In order to protect against this small data lost and achieve better service
level, you will need
to backup the mailboxes. And using the last version of the Networker Module you
will be able to
restore a mail, a sub-folder, a note, a calendar.
Keep in mind, that this backup can be 4 to 8 times longer than the storage
group backup

Best regards,
Tarik EL MANSOURI