Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup hangs on Netware 6.5

2005-03-14 18:05:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup hangs on Netware 6.5
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:05:34 -0800

> We are running Solstice Backup 6.1.4 on a Sun V880.  We have a client
> running Novell NetWare 6.5 whcih hangs durnig a backup at the same place
> each time (about 1.2 GB backed up).  We have had this problem in the past,
> and it resulted from a corrupted file.  Repeated searches of the 60 GB disk
> volume have failed to identify the bad file.  I tried putting the client
> into a group by itself and running savegroup -vvv to list the files being
> backed up.  The list, however, only comes back after a successful backup.
> Since the backups hang, we never get to that point.  Does anyone know of a
> way to tell which file is being backed up as the backup is taking place?
> Thanks for your help.

A few ways.

One is to find the actual 'save' command being run on the client.  If
you ran that directly (rather than via savegrp), you could watch the
output as it appears.

I don't know anything about novell.  Does it have any utilities to show
files in use by a process?  I'd run 'pwdx' and 'pfiles' on the save
command on Solaris.