Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Crash

2005-03-11 04:41:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Crash
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:41:54 +0000
Ciolek, Ken wrote:
My Networker server crashed and is being rebuilt. It was a NT 4 and a
question was raised if we could upgrade to Windows 2000 then restore my old
server to the box. I thought someone had told me this could not be done.

It's tempting isn't it to start upgrading OS or NetWorker versions at a time like this? However, your priority should be to get your server back up and running, so you should be giving yourself the best chance of doing this in a timely manner, i.e. no changes to hardware or software. I know it feels wrong to be rebuilding your box with NT4, but really you should do this upgrade to a crucial system in a planned manner following proper testing, without too many pressures on you to get it completed yesterday.

From a technical point of view I don't know any reason why you shouldn't mmrecov to a Windows 2000 server rather than an NT4 server, although don't hold me to that. From a business point of view, and for the sake your company's valuable data, you should probably not do this just now.