Networker

[Networker] Mixing different versions of clients and server

2005-03-09 13:23:08
Subject: [Networker] Mixing different versions of clients and server
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:10:21 -0700
Hi,

In upgrading our Networker from v6.1.3 to v7.1.3, I was reminded by way
of the feature not being available that a Windows NT 4 server (yes I
know its old) cannot be a storage node, only a client.

We have one such Windows NT 4 server which is running Exchange 5.5, and
is a storage node (currently it only backs up data from itself).

While it will be replaced by the end of 2005 with Windows 2003 and
Exchange 2003, we are not quite there yet.  But we can wait no longer to
upgrade to Networker v7.x.

Is it possible to keep the NT 4 server running Networker 6.1.4 (which
would allow the NT 4 server to be a storage node) and have the Networker
server be v7.1.3?  Will this introduce problems with restores, the on-
line indexes, the media database, etc?

I know that from a functional standpoint from my testing that at least
backups will work okay.  I haven't tried a recover though.

The only other option we currently have is to backup this client over a
T1 during off-hours to another storage node located in the same
city/country.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator