Networker

Re: [Networker] Block size in Windows

2005-03-09 04:48:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Block size in Windows
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:47:48 +0000
Teresa Biehler wrote:
We've got a Solaris NW server sharing tape drives with a Windows storage
node.  When we first set this up, I searched the Legato knowledge base
for how to set the Windows block size.  I found an article that walked
me through setting the environmental variable as well as adding a couple
registry keys.  Well, we just upgraded to 2003 and I'm going through the
storage node set up again.  When I look through the Legato knowledge
base now, this article is no longer there.

So, do I still need to do both steps?  Is setting the environmental
variable sufficient?

This depends on lots of things, the type of tape devices (and hence the default block size that NetWorker uses for that device type), the driver used for your SCSI or fibre HBA card, and whether or not you wish to change the block size from the NetWorker default.

In terms of interoperability between Windows and Unix storage nodes, the vital thing is that your Windows SCSI driver must allocate enough scatter/gather buffers for the desired block size. If the block size for your devices is 64KB then it's unlikely that this will be an issue. Otherwise you need to check this, I don't know whether Windows 2003 drivers still have a problem with this. If this is correct it doesn't even matter if the various storage nodes write with different block sizes, it will still work.

The other approach is to bring down the block size on all storage nodes to 64KB, including Unix. There may be a performance hit with this approach, although some device types use a lower block size, such as LTO-1.