Networker

Re: [Networker] index space requirements

2005-03-01 16:58:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] index space requirements
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:54:30 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] index space requirements, Paula Ehn said (at...:

I was wondering if there is a certain percentage of disk space that
needs to be free for indexes to grow or use to update themselves.

Our previous backups admin here told me not to let them take more than 33% of
the disk space. All seems to be running fine as is but I'm just wondering for
how long.

In the old, old days with NetWorker, the client indexes were just one (or
perhaps a couple, I forget) large database file(s) per client.  The
common advice was to never have less free space on your index filesystem
than the size of your largest client index.  For example, if the index
for your largest client was 1.5 GB in size, then you wanted to always have
at least 1.5GB free.

NetWorker client indexes aren't organized in large single-file databases
these days, though, so that guideline isn't as important anymore.

I don't think there was ever a % guideline, but your predecessor might
have been giving you a % that equated to how much space was needed for
your largest client index.

While it's always advisable to monitor the space in your index filesystem,
these days it's probably more important to do trend analysis than it is to
shoot for any particular amount of space as "always free".

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu