Networker

Re: [Networker] index space requirements

2005-03-01 16:53:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] index space requirements
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:49:22 +0000
Paula Ehn wrote:
I was wondering if there is a certain percentage of disk space that needs to be free for indexes to grow or use to update themselves.

We're running Networker v.7.1.1 on Solaris 9 right now and the indexes are taking up about 37% of the disk space on a 33GB patition. There is nothing else on this partition but indexes.

Our previous backups admin here told me not to let them take more than 33% of the disk space. All seems to be running fine as is but I'm just wondering for how long.

Should I install larger disks to give the indexes more room? Is there a magic percentage of disk space that needs to be free?

Your previous backup admin may have been partially correct in the past. Prior to NetWorker 6, it was advisable to allow twice the size of the largest client index in order that index checking could be performed. That's not quite the same as you describe unless you only have one client!

From NetWorker 6 this is no longer necessary and you only need to allow sufficient space for projected growth.