Networker

Re: [Networker] Cross-platform recovery not possible anymore?

2005-02-23 11:30:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cross-platform recovery not possible anymore?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:25:30 +0000
Hi Oscar,

I don't know what it is exactly that you are trying to achieve here, but if it helps, do you know that you can use your Linux client to control the recovery of a client on any platform, and write the data back to a different client of the correct type?

Oscar Olsson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Stan Horwitz wrote:

SH> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Oscar Olsson wrote:
SH> >It seems like cross platform recovery isn't possible anymore. We have
SH> >traditionally been running automated restore tests on a linux machine,
SH> >that recovers files from windows clients, but this stopped working a while
SH> >ago, probably when we upgraded to 7.1.3.
SH> >
SH> >The error I get is:
SH> >
SH> >recover: Permission denied by server britt.qbranch.se: Cross platform
SH> >recovery not supported
[snip]
SH> I might be wrong, but I do not recall cross-platform recovers ever being
SH> supported under NetWorker. Why not just put another PC online and load it
SH> up with the operating systems you need and the relevant NetWorker clients
SH> and use that for your recover testing? PCs are a commodity item these
SH> days.

I agree on that they probably never have been supported. However, they have been working, in the setup that we had previously. But this stopped working after upgrading the backup server and moving the script to another linux box. But it is the backup server that gives this error message when I try to recover files via the recover cli.

So, I agree that it would be best to set up a specific client for testing windows clients, but on the other hand it would be good to get the old way back up. Its always nice to keep your day as effortless as possible. ;)

//Oscar