Networker

[Networker] wrong tape capacitiy displayed

2005-02-22 09:07:43
Subject: [Networker] wrong tape capacitiy displayed
From: "ingo AT visionet DOT de" <ingo AT VISIONET DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:07:13 -0500
Hi All,

we are running Networker 7.1.2 Build 325 on Solaris 9.
We have a storage node, same Networker version, on a Solaris 8 machine with
an Exabyte library with two Mammoth2-drives attached.

The device capacity for a Mammoth2-drive should be displayed as 60GB but
what I'm experiencing is a kind of random thing: After labeling all tapes
in the library (using both devices), mminfo looks like that:

 volume        pool           capacity
CL000001       clone             40 GB
CL000002       clone             40 GB
CL000003       clone             60 GB
CL000004       clone             40 GB
CL000005       clone             60 GB
CL000006       clone             20 GB
CL000007       clone             20 GB
CL000023       clone             60 GB
CL000024       clone             40 GB
CL000025       clone             60 GB
CL000026       clone             20 GB
CL000028       clone             20 GB
CL000029       clone             20 GB
CL000030       clone             20 GB
CL000031       clone             20 GB
CL000032       clone             20 GB
CL000033       clone             20 GB
CL000034       clone             20 GB
CL000035       clone           2000 MB
CL000036       clone             20 GB

Notice that there are four different capacities displayed!

I tried setting NSR_DEV_DEFAULT_CAPACITY_8MM_MAMMOTH_2=60GB on both server
and storage node and restarting networker. I am getting a message on
startup that this setting is ok, but when labeling a tape, the displayed
capacity is again randomly wrong.

I tried erasing a tape via Exabyte's MammothTool so that any existing tape
label would be deleted and then again labeling the tape. No effect.

What's wrong? By the way Networker 7.1.2 should be aware of the Mammoth2-
tapes so that any fumbling around with NSR_DEV_DEFAULT_CAPACITY_... should
not be necessary.

Any ideas appreciated,
Ingo