Networker

Re: [Networker] upgrade networker 5.4 to 7.2 on new server, connect from old clients (correct)

2005-02-22 06:42:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] upgrade networker 5.4 to 7.2 on new server, connect from old clients (correct)
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:40:46 -0500
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:08:15 +0100, Michael Theurich
<Michael.Theurich AT ANITESYSTEMS DOT DE> wrote:

>Dear experts,
>my company is going to install a new backup sw version(7.2) on a new
machine (Solaris8) with a new tape library, for about 5 clients(all
Solaris8). For a limited time, we want to be able to restore files from the
old backup system, therefore I want keep the old client versions for a
while. Thus, my migration scenario is as follows:

>current:
>========
>clients(v5.4) <----> serverA(v5.4)   save + restore to DDS3 tapes
>
>intermediate:
>=============
>clients(v5.4) <----- serverA(v5.4)   occasional emergency restore from
DDS3 tapes
>              |                      (using old indexes, shutdown serverB)
>              +----> serverB(v7.2)   save + restore to LTO2 tapes
(starting with fresh indexes)

>final:
>======
>clients(v7.2) <----> serverB(v7.2)   save + restore to LTO2 tapes
>

>my simple question is: is it possible to use v5.4 clients to backup to a
v7.2 client, and to still be able to restore from a v5.4 client if need be.

There was never a version 5.4. I assume you are talking about 5.5.4 ??

Simple answer is yes, you can use 5.5.4 clients to backup to a 7.2 server.
You won't get the benefit of all the bug fixes in later versions, and any
save sets greater then 2GB will be split into 2GB chunks. You may see a few
failures that can be attributed to issues with 5.x client versions, but yes
it is a supported configuration, except that 5.x is no longer supported
anyway.