Networker

[Networker] Very Frustrating Problem

2005-02-16 17:24:19
Subject: [Networker] Very Frustrating Problem
From: Ken Gehring <kgehring AT MYREALBOX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:17:50 +0000
We are running Networker 6.1.4 (upgraded from 6.1.3 etc) on RedHat AS 3.0 with
the latest kernel 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp and we have also tried the 2.4.29 kernel.
The Jukebox is a Storagetek L-80 with 8 SDLT drives (set up 2 per scsi channel
and the picker on its own channel). The scsi cards are 3 Adaptec 39160 cards
(we've also tried Buslogic cards). The computer is an HP ML370 with 6GB of
memory and about 200GB of disk and dual  2.8GHz processors. We've also tried
this with similar Dell hardware (Dell 4600 configured about the same as the HP).

Now to the problem. We keep getting an inordinate number of scsi bus resets
(varies from 6 to 20 per day). We get tape drives that disappear (no device
present) or get into a state where they are useable but you can't eject the
tape.

We've tried a lot of configuration changes and are now experimenting with
changing the command queueing depth to the tape drives (we've tried the default
of 32 as well as 16, 8 and 4 all with no success).

Has anyone seen this type of problem or behavior? Did you manage to resolve the
problem? How?

Thanks in advance.

Ken Gehring