Networker

Re: [Networker] Hard links

2005-02-16 12:24:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hard links
From: Sean Ross <rosss AT ACE.ORST DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:19:12 -0800
(I'm on the digest list, so I apologize if this has been said already)

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:53:45 +0000 From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM> Subject: Re: Hard links

[snip good testing]

So I believe you are mistaken about your backups being 90% larger, unless it it simply from the fact that your files are very small and there are a very large number of inodes.

Does a link count change on the inode trigger a "file change" event as far as Networker is concerned? That is, will a simple link count change (adding a new hard link) on an otherwise unchanged and already backed-up file cause it to be backed up again on the next incremental?

I've never tried it, but that seems like a possibility, and could explain the increased backup size.

Sean Ross
Corvallis, Oregon, USA
rosss AT ace.orst DOT edu