Networker

Re: [Networker] Hard links

2005-02-15 09:57:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hard links
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:53:45 +0000
Charles Gruener wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Jason.

To quote the GNU tar manual, Section 8.6, "tar's way of handling multiple
hard links to a file places only one copy of the link on the tape, but the
name attached to that copy is the only one you can use to retrieve the file;
cpio's way puts one copy for every link, but you can retrieve it using any
of the names."

It seems to me that hard links are definitely supported in two other basic
backup programs.  This is why I am surprised that NetWorker does not go to
the filesystem level.  I guess I'll have to investigate other options for a
NetWorker backup of my ext3 hard linked rsync backups.

I had to think about this for a while before I understood what you meant. From your explanation neither tar or cpio seem to be handling this very well, but from a test I have just run, NetWorker seems to behave correctly. NetWorker of course has the benefit of a sophisticated index database that tar and cpio don't have.

My test was to copy a file of just over 2MB to a directory, then create 10 more hard links to this file. I backed up the directory, and the resulting save set was just over 2MB. So it hasn't backed it up 11 times, just once, plus perhaps a small overhead for the extra hard links. I then deleted all the files and restored them from the backup. They were correctly restored as a single file, with 11 inodes - verified by "ls -li" to have the same inode number.

So I believe you are mistaken about your backups being 90% larger, unless it it simply from the fact that your files are very small and there are a very large number of inodes.

What I don't quite understand is what you are trying to accomplish with rsync in this case. Perhaps you would like to explain further then possibly we can offer more advice?