Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS license issues....

2005-02-14 07:07:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS license issues....
From: Ian Hardy <I.D.Hardy AT SOTON.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:51:23 -0500
Hi,

We are also interested in this question. Have found a section in the
online help for Networker that describes how you can disable particular
clients from using VSS ('VSS:*=off', in the 'Save Operations attribute'
field of a client definition, + other options for use with Exchange & SQL).

However, it would be more useful if it was possible to turn VSS off by
default for all clients and then turn it back on for specific clients that
you want to allocate a license for. Anyone know if this is possible?
Otherwise there is a high risk that licenses will get allocated to other
Windows 2003 clients that you did not intend to use a VSS license. Does
anyone know how to release a VSS license (reverting to standard backups)
from a client without deleteting the client definition completetly?

Ian Hardy
Technology Consultancy Co-ordinator
Information Systems Services
University of Southampton