Networker

Re: [Networker] Hard links

2005-02-12 07:26:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hard links
From: Charles Gruener <cjg9411 AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:22:16 -0500
Thanks for the reply, Jason.

To quote the GNU tar manual, Section 8.6, "tar's way of handling multiple
hard links to a file places only one copy of the link on the tape, but the
name attached to that copy is the only one you can use to retrieve the file;
cpio's way puts one copy for every link, but you can retrieve it using any
of the names."

It seems to me that hard links are definitely supported in two other basic
backup programs.  This is why I am surprised that NetWorker does not go to
the filesystem level.  I guess I'll have to investigate other options for a
NetWorker backup of my ext3 hard linked rsync backups.

Charles