Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.1.3 problem

2005-02-09 12:53:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.1.3 problem
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:53:22 -0600
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:13:45AM +0200, Pieter Boshoff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to know how Networker 7.1.3 handle multiple backup server interfaces.
>
> I have one server with 5 nic's, to backup 9 networks. I am now running into
> some problems where I cannot get 7.1.3 install on the clients, pointing the
> client to one of the servers interfaces other then the primary interface.

Our current backup server is multihomed on all of our subnets -- from a
data side, it sounds like a good idea, but it's just made things more
complicated.  If possible, I would recommend a single-homed backups
server.

Here's what I think happens, based on our research and experimentation.
For this diagram, let's use a client named 'client' that lives in a
subnet called 'orange'  The backup server is called 'backups-server'
which is outside the orange subnet, but has an interface in the orange
subnet we'll call 'backups-orange-server'.  The client is single-homed in
the orange subnet.

Savegroup kicks off on backups-server.  The client is named 'client' in
the Networker client definition, so the server tries to connect to that
name.  Using normal IP routing on the backups server, it leaves through
the subnet interface to talk to the machine on that subnet.  So,
'client' needs to have 'backups-orange-server' listed in its server
list, since that's the actual interface that will be connecting to it
(not the backups-server interface.)

The client gets the instruction that it's supposed to contact
'backups-server' in the savegroup request, so it starts a new connection
-- but this time to the interface that's off subnet.  The rest of the
communication / data is sent over this connection (not the local
interface on the subnet.)  I don't think there's a way around this,
unless you can tell Networker to tell a client to connect to a different
server.

These are, of course, for public, routable networks.  I think you could
do a better job with private, internal, backup-only networks by editing
the hosts files and working in a more controlled environment.  To make
things easier in our environment, the servers file we install on the
client machine has all the interfaces of the backups server.  Our next
backups server will be single-homed (with maybe one private network for
some backups.)

Dave