Networker

[Networker] NetWorker 7.1.x & NetWare recoveries, anyone else having problems?

2005-01-31 15:28:45
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker 7.1.x & NetWare recoveries, anyone else having problems?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:26:12 -0600
All-

Like many sites with NetWare clients to back up, we waited to upgrade to
NetWorker 7.1.x on our (Linux) backup server, because of the saveset
recovery issue (LGTpa50711, I believe) with old clients.

We upgraded from NetWorker 6.1.3 to NetWorker 7.1.3 two weekends ago.
Since the upgrade, we've been unable to reliably restore data for any of
our NetWare clients.  We can browse the client indexes and mark what files
we would like to recover, but after marking the files, doing an "F3 -
Required Volumes" will return an error of the form

        Can't find required volume for "SYS:foobar"

It initially looked like some kind of media database corruption on our
backup server, and I have verified that we do have media database
corruption of an unknown origin.  Even if we move our media database and
client indexes out of the way and have them created fresh, and then scan
in a tape containing just (full) savesets for the NetWare client, we still
get the same issue.

So, for those of you that have upgraded to NetWorker 7.1.3 and are
backing up NetWare (or other V4) clients, are you seeing any kind of
restore problems?

Thanks,

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu