Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrating from Solaris to Linux

2005-01-25 16:09:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrating from Solaris to Linux
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:02:19 -0600
On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 02:04:33PM -0500, Somen Chanda wrote:
> I have read a quite a few docs on this topic in the archives.
>
> We have a solaris networker server. We are moving the networker server to a
> Linux box. I mounted the index tape on the drive and followed this
> procedure on the Linux server and received these errors.

> [root@backup2 root]# mmrecov
> mmrecov: Using backup2 as server
>
> NOTICE: mmrecov is used to recover the NetWorker server's media index and
> resource files from media (backup tapes or disks) when any of this
> critical NetWorker data has been lost or damaged.  Note that this
> command will OVERWRITE the server's existing media index.  mmrecov is not
> used to recover NetWorker clients' on-line indexes; normal recover
> procedures may be used for this purpose.  See the mmrecov(8) and
> nsr_crash(8) man pages for more details.
>
> /dev/nst0
> /dev/nst1
>
> What is the name of the device you plan on using [/dev/nst0]?
> Enter the latest bootstrap save set id: 1576400384
> mmrecov: 1576400384     is not a valid save set id.
> Enter the latest bootstrap save set id: 1576400384
> Enter starting file number (if known) [0]: 19
> Enter starting record number (if known) [0]:
>
> Please insert the volume on which save set id 1576400384 started
> into /dev/nst0.  When you have done this, press <RETURN>:
>
> Scanning /dev/nst0 for save set 1576400384; this may take a while...
> scanner:  please enter record size for this volume (`q` to quit) [64]
> scanner: fn 19 rn 0 read error Input/output error
> scanner: fn 19 rn 0 read error Input/output error
> uasm: invalid save stream
> /dev/nst0: Mount operation in progress
> /dev/nst0: verifying label, moving backward 2 file(s)
> /dev/nst0: verifying label, moving backward 1 file(s)
> /dev/nst0: verifying label, rewinding
> /dev/nst0:
> mmrecov: RAP error: no tape label found
> mmrecov:
> Cannot Mount volume on /dev/nst0
> mmrecov: uasm exited with error 1
>
> I even tried copying the /nsr directory from the Sun server to the Linux
> box and found out no tape information has moved over.
>
> One thing to note is that the IP and the name of the Linux box is different
> from the Sun. But I got the license transferred from Legato and got new
> codes.
>
> Can anyone help? Is there anyone who have done this, I mean move to a
> different name and IP of the Legato server?

The errors above appear to be tape related, or some setting on the drive
under Linux that's not reading the tape properly.  I'm not sure what to
say about that.

I'm prepped to do a Solaris to Linux transfer soon, and in my test cases
I configured the new Linux box to have the same IP and hostname as the
original server (but disconnected from the network, of course.)  I did the
mmrecov and nsrck's with the new server appearing to be the old one.
Once the transition/DR-restore was done, I went through the process to
change the name.  Legato as a TechBulletin for this (#396 ... that's
different than the 6.x versions.)

Dave