Networker

Re: [Networker] Manually checking cycles/expiration?

2005-01-24 10:55:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Manually checking cycles/expiration?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:49:55 -0800

> This might be a dumb question, but I haven't found the answer yet.
>
> For a bi-weekly retention on a dataset, networker appears to want 2
> full cycles on tape, which makes sense.

Networker doesn't "want" that, it just tends to happen when the
expiration is done as planned.

> It also seems to call nsrck (I believe) at some interval to check if
> there are 2+ cycles, remove anything older than 2, and mark tapes as
> recycled.  (Not sure if this is all with nsrck)

No.  What it does (via nsrim) is to see if any of the savesets should
expire today and expire them.   A saveset expires if:

1) It's now past the retention period for the saveset and
2) No other savesets depend on this saveset.

This means a saveset might not expire even after two weeks because there
are other, newer savesets that depend on it.  So a full saveset might
need almost three weeks to expire.

> The problem I'm running into is that I can't figure out the frequency
> with which this happens.  I have some tapes that should have been
> expired nearly a week ago, but are not because the oldest cycle isn't
> being removed in a timely manner.  Is there a manual way to do this,
> other than clicking through the interface and selecting remove oldest?

You could check out the 'nsrim -l' option in the man page.  It would
remove the oldest cycle without regard to the browse or retention
periods.