Networker

[Networker] The nsrd process stopped responding

2005-01-17 11:11:15
Subject: [Networker] The nsrd process stopped responding
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:09:00 -0500
I just opened up case 3130419 with LEGATO tech support about this issue,
but I am wondering if anyone on this list run into a situation where your
server's nsrd process just dies? I had this happen around 12:20 with a RPC
error. A bunch of processes were killed off according to the daemon.log
file, then logging stopped about ten minutes later. Other nsr processes
such as nsrexecd, nsrmmdb, etc. were still in the process list. The nsrd
process also generated a core file in /nsr/cores/nsrd at the time it died.
I shut down the nsr processes via nsr_shutdown and the shutdown appeared
to happen normally. Then I restarted, and the restart appeared to be
normal. Backups that were in progress resumed, although a few did crash
when this problem began so those were not re-started.

Our NetWorker complex consists of a Solaris 9 server with NetWorker Power
Edition 7.1.2 for our server. We also have one storage node that also has
Solaris 9 and NetWorker 7.1.2. A variety of clients are backed up each
night, including Tru64 Unix, Windows, Solaris, Novell, Linux, and NDMP. A
few of our Windows clients use the MS SQL module and one uses the MS
Exchange module. Our NetWorker server has a Sony PetaSite library with
five Sony S-AIT drives connected to it via fiber. Our storage node has a
Qualstar library with twelve Sony AIT-2 drives connected via LVD SCSI. We
do not do any library or drive sharing.

The errors in daemon.log look like:

01/17/05 00:29:05 savegrp: RPC error: Unable to send
01/17/05 00:29:05 savegrp: Cannot query the pool resources.  Unable to verify
the save sets on the media.
01/17/05 00:29:05 nsrexecd: Recvd signal to kill process group - pid=-13435,
sig=2