Networker

[Networker] Tape label reads on startup of NW on NDMP device

2005-01-13 05:00:20
Subject: [Networker] Tape label reads on startup of NW on NDMP device
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:56:14 +0100
Since I upgraded to 7.1.3, I get an error mounting the volume in the NDMP device that was already mounted before networker was restarted.

The config is solaris 9, running SnapImage 1.6, which means that the backup server also acts as a NDMP tape server.

I can't seem to find the error in daemon.log, but I get about the following error (as correct as I can remember it):

rd=britt.qbranch.se/dev/rmt/4cbn: Tape label read error: No space left on device

This happens when networker tries to mount the tape that was previously mounted OK in the same drive, before networker was restarted. Unmounting the drive and re-mounting it works just fine however.

Since backups run just fine, and it has worked just fine with 7.1.2, I think its unlikely that it has to do with incorrect block size settings, but just in case, the drive's block size is set to handler default. That shouldn't be a problem, since it should then use the block size specified in st.conf, right?

Anyway, has anyone else seen this after upgrading?

//Oscar