Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning questions

2005-01-12 15:45:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning questions
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:44:38 -0800
> >When you recycle a volume, Networker deletes the record of any saveset
> >fragments on it from the media database.  So it knows that the original
> >backup of that saveset is no longer complete and cannot be used for a
> >restore.
> >

> It depends if you mean "recycle" or "relabel".

I tend to use those words interchangably, but different from "marked for
recycling".

> When you mark a volume recyclable, it marks all the SSIDs on the tape as
> recyclable.  This includes all copies of that SSID, since the retention
> time is a function of the SSID, not the (SSID/cloneid).

Yup.  The marking does it.

> >>of the save set still live on the other volumes, and the complete
> >>saveset lives on the clone, so what will NetWorker do? Will it matter
> >>that I'm running nwrecover versus save set recover?
> >>

> >No.  It'll always choose the clone.  Further, if you had not cloned it,
> >you would not be able to recover from any of the other fragments
> >(however you might be able to use 'scanner' directly on the fragments to
> >write data directly to disk).
> >
> Actually, it will choose whichever non-suspect copy has the lowest
> "cloneid", which is almost always the original.  The exception is on
> adv_file devices, where it's the .RO copy that has the lowest.

I was assuming there was only one clone in existence at this point (the
original having been destroyed).

I've definitely been able to restore from from a clone simply by having
the clone online and the original offline.  It didn't request the
original and I didn't mark anything suspect.

My test machine has only one drive, so I can't easily do all-tape
cloning tests on it....