Networker

[Networker] Cloning questions

2005-01-12 12:10:10
Subject: [Networker] Cloning questions
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:05:16 -0500
A few questions here on cloning.

o We're running an older copy of NetWorker (6.1.1) so I guess cloning
works differently wherein the entire saveset is cloned, including all
the pieces that may live on subsequent volumes, as opposed to just the
piece on the given tape which I wanna say is how nsrclone works under
newer releases?

o Let's suppose I have a save set that is spread across two or more
tapes but maybe could fit on one tape. Obviously, all the pieces have
the same ssid. Okay, now let's say I run nsrclone against that ssid, so
NetWorker loads all the tapes one by one and then clones it off to this
one clone volume I have. Now, let's suppose I then recycle (relabel) one
of the affected original volumes. What happens when I try to recover
that saveset? Obviously, one of the original tapes is gone, but pieces
of the save set still live on the other volumes, and the complete
saveset lives on the clone, so what will NetWorker do? Will it matter
that I'm running nwrecover versus save set recover?

o What's this business of NetWorker wanting to use original versions and
not clone copies so you have to mark the original suspect to force it to
use the clone copy? Guess that's only true if the original is still
listed in the database, i.e. none of the affected tapes has been
recycled (relabeled)?

I wanna say that when one of the affected volumes is relabeled, all of
the savesets on that tape will now be removed from the database, never
mind whether the savesets are completely contained on the volume or not.
As a result, none of the pieces would be recoverable from any of the
tapes, so when I run saveset recover or nwrecover on the affected
saveset that was cloned, NetWorker will only use the clone copy, and
everything should behave as if it was the original?

Thanks.

George