Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell: LGTpa50711 is fixed in v7.1.3

2005-01-11 13:16:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell: LGTpa50711 is fixed in v7.1.3
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:16:02 +0100
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Craig Ruefenacht wrote:

CR> I am not sure whether the fix included with Networker v7.1.3 has these
CR> constraints - I haven't tested v7.1.3 yet.  I wouldn't be surprised if
CR> the constraints remain.  You should consult with Legato support to
CR> verify whether these constraints exist in the fix for v7.1.3
CR>
CR> 1. Saveset recovery is only supported to the original client to which
CR> the saveset belongs.  So you can't recover a saveset from Novell server
CR> "A" to server "B".
CR>
CR> 2. It required the Networker Netware client v4.22.  If you have old
CR> Novell servers that cannot run v4.22 of the Networker Netware client,
CR> saveset recoveries still won't work.
CR>
CR> 3. As mentioned by me in an earlier post, the fix is NOT in Networker
CR> 7.2.  It is only in 7.1.3.  This may seem strange to some of you, but
CR> remember that v7.2 was out before v7.1.3 came out, so v7.2 cannot simply
CR> be v7.1.3 + improvements.  As a result, v7.1.3 can (and does) contain
CR> fixes that are not in v7.2.

I just noticed that our Netware clients started failing after upgrading
today.

I see the following error for all netware clients:

* fpalvik.customerdomain.com:All 1 retry attempted
* fpalvik.customerdomain.com:All rcmd fpalvik.customerdomain.com, user
.admin.customerdomain: `savefs -s britt.qbranch.se -c
fpalvik.customerdomain.com -g customergroup -p -l full -R -v'
* fpalvik.customerdomain.com:All 01/11/05 19:05:16 nsrexec: nsrexecd on
fpalvik.customerdomain.com is unavailable.  Using rsh instead.
* fpalvik.customerdomain.com:All nsrexec: authtype rsh
* fpalvik.customerdomain.com:All No 'NSR client' resource for client
fpalvik
* fpalvik.customerdomain.com:All Cannot retrieve client resources for
fpalvik on britt.qbranch.se
* fpalvik.customerdomain.com:All Backup fpalvik: failed.

Is this because of article legato65286 (included below) or something else?
Anyone else seeing this? I'll try to set that variable in a moment to see
if that helps, but I still wonder why one would require a variable that
enables netware support to begin with?

Full article below:

Solution Title: Error: 'no nsr client resource for client (Client_Name)'
Solution ID: legato65286

Here is the solution:
On Windows server, set this as a system environment variable; a reboot
will be required.
Known issue: LGTpa66146. If the parent or child of this fix is installed
on NetWorker 7.1.1 or 7.1.2 servers, you will need to set an environment
variable NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 to enable NetWare client support. When
netware support is enabled the following message will apprear in the
daemon.log "Support for Netware clients is enabled." Please contact Legato
Customer Support if you have this problem with newer releases.
On Windows server, add a system environment variable
NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X and set it value to 1; a reboot will be required.
For Unix servers: the variable must be exported before starting up
NetWorker server daemons. For example, using /bin/sh or /bin/ksh
# nsr_shutdown -q
# NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1; export NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X
# nsrexecd
# nsrd

Here is the problem or goal:
Error: 'no nsr client resource for client (Client_Name)'
Error: '(NetWare_client_long_name):(Save_set_name) No 'NSR client'
resource for client (NetWare_client_short_name)'
Error: 'cannot retrieve client resources for (NetWare_client_name) on
(Server_long_name)'

Problem Environment:
NetWorker 7.1.2
NetWorker for NetWare 4.21
Recovers happen successfully from the clientside
All NetWare clients failed with the same error message

Causes of this problem:
A new variable was introduced through the mentioned patch to NetWorker
7.1.1 and up.

//Oscar