Networker

Re: [Networker] What is a level 9, exactly?

2004-12-01 20:55:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] What is a level 9, exactly?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:54:25 -0800

> I notice that indexes are always reported as level 9 whenever an
> incremental is run on the client. Why do indexes report level 9 and not
> 'incr' like normal save sets? Are these synonymous terms like full and
> level 0? I don't think I've ever really been clear on this issue.

No, they're not synonymous.  However, indexes do not support 'incr'
backups.  So if you do an 'incr' on a client, the indexes are promoted
up to level 9.

Any numeric backup will save all data changed since the last backup with
a lower number.

'incr' backups save all data changed since the last backup (even if it
was an incr).  So multiple incrs do not save the same data multiple
times.  Multiple level 9 backups might.

For this reason, don't overly restrict your pools.  If you make a pool
and set it to hold only incr data, then your indexes will never go on
there, even if you want them to.