Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 and Zones

2004-11-29 16:31:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris 10 and Zones
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:30:04 -0500
Hi Teresa

Good question!

I did a little digging, but didn't find much.

[from the "Solaris Zones (N1 Grid Containers) - Sun Expert Exchange
Transcript"
(http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp?r=703SsI4297t0006304e4m32f403jTc04299i0)]
"Magnus (Q): What is the best way to backup a zone? Should a backup client
be installed per zone, or should it be done globally at /zone/1, /zone/2
etc?
Dan Price (A): It's really up to you. We think either method is OK, and will
just depend on your needs."

I didn't find any Sun white papers on this topic, nor did the zones
documentation provide any guidance.  I also checked the zones discussion,
but there hasn't been any noteworthy discussion on this topic.

Zones are a new technology for Sun, and the lack of information about backup
is a reflection of this newness.  VMware, on the other hand, has been able
to articulate the several backup options for quite a while.

tl

Terry Lemons
CLARiiON Applications Integration Engineering
EMC²
where information lives

4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580