Networker

Re: [Networker] Any clues about why this tape expired?

2004-11-24 11:36:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Any clues about why this tape expired?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:00:57 -0800
> Hello,
>
> I have some tape where we backup some data that we want to preserve during 1
> year. The browse/retention policy for the instance clients during the backup
> to this tape was fixed for 1 year.
>
> Now, we've found that the mode of this tape is 'recyc' and the expiration is
> 'expired'. Our server version is Legato NetWorker 7.1.2 under Windows 2000.
>
> If we use mminfo to see expiration information about all the savesets of
> this tape we can see that NONE OF THEM IS EXPIRED!! So, why this tape is
> expired?

Actually, we see that all of them are expired ('E').  Of course that's
expected.  You can't really expire a volume without expiring the saveset
first.

> Command to see info about this tape:
>
> C:\>mminfo -a -r "volume,volflags,state,volaccess,volretent,savesets" | find
> "HIS101"
> HIS101         r    E  13/02/2004 expired    72
>
> Command to see info about the savesets in the tape (all the backups were
> done in February 2004 and its supposed expiration should be February 2005):
>
> C:\>mminfo -a -q "volume=HIS101" -r
> "ssbrowse,ssretent,ssinsert,sscomp,ssflags,name" | sort
>  browse   retent  inserted completed ssflags name
> 05/02/2005 05/02/2005 06/02/2004 06/02/2004 vEF C:\
> 05/02/2005 05/02/2005 06/02/2004 06/02/2004 vEF C:\

I don't think there's any log to tell you exactly *why* the savesets and
volume are this way.  I'll suggest that one method would be if the
volume status had been manually set to 'recyclable'.

> Any idea about this problem? Any solution? I would like to have this tape in
> its supposed state at this moment! I would like to have this tape like this
> one:
>
> C:\>mminfo -a -r "volume,volflags,state,volaccess,volretent,savesets" | find
> "HIS102"
> HIS102         r       27/07/2004 28/07/2005 118
>
> Is it possible to change the 'volretent' for the tape "HIS101"?

Set the volume to notrecyclable.

   nsrmm -o notrecyclable HIS102

Then set all of the savesets on the volume to 'recoverable'

   foreach (enumerated list of savesets)
     nsrmm -o notrecyclable -S <savesetID>

Is there any chance that all the savesets on the volume are now or were
at one time cloned?  If so, marking either this volume or the volume
with the other copy as 'recyclable' could have done this.