Networker

[Networker] Solaris 10 and Zones

2004-11-24 10:37:05
Subject: [Networker] Solaris 10 and Zones
From: "Kroeker, Teresa Lynn (Carswell)" <Teresa.Kroeker AT THOMSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:26:02 -0500
Has anyone thought about how they might backup a "zoned" Solaris 10 box.
Zones are similar to VMware I believe.  You have a global zone (the
whole system) and zones within it have their own Solaris OS environment.
Essentially you are partitioning one large system in to smaller ones.
Here are several questions that I can think of:

1) how would this be licensed (one client just for the global zone, one
client for each zone plus the global zone)?
2) would you backup just the global zone?
3) would you backup each individual zone plus the global zone?
4) how would users recover files from an individual zone (seems to imply
that you must have a client for each zone)?
5) how would you restore a zone?

In our case data (other than the OS file systems) is stored on a Network
Appliance filer which we backup via NFS (75% of which is mounted on a
backup server just for backups, the rest is backed up via the clients
due to file system name conflicts).  We are most concerned with backing
up the OS and having a system in which the users can recover their own
files.  Our backup server method seems to be working fine for our users
(they use recover -c backupserver -s backupserver).

Teresa Kroeker
Carswell