Networker

Re: [Networker] gfs file system

2004-11-15 18:30:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] gfs file system
From: Carl Farnsworth <cfarnsworth AT SYMPATICO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:29:30 -0500
AFAIK:  'gfs' is the "Google File System", developed by some clever dudes
at Google.  It is a high-performance, highly-scalable cluster filesystem -
but to get the performance, it is accessed by applications through an
API, so the O/S doesn't necessarily "see" it as a typical filesystem mount.

For the complete scoop, see a detailed whitepaper at:
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/sosp2003/papers/p125-ghemawat.pdf

And the Red Hat admin guide can be found at:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/admin-guide/index.html

Regards,
cf