Networker

Re: [Networker] multiplexing questions

2004-11-04 12:04:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] multiplexing questions
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:03:08 -0500
I was under impression cloning always demultiplex savesets, no matter how many
savesets are being passed to the nsrclone.
And this is why people prefer using clones for the restoration (for speeding it
up).
That basically means Networker would do multiple passes through the original
volume if required.

George Sinclair wrote:
Okay, I need a refresher here and just want to make sure I understand
this correctly.

o If I'm using nsrclone to clone savesets like: 'nsrclone -b clone_pool
-S ssid1 ssid2 ...'

then NetWorker will preserve the multi-plexing on the clone volume.
However, if none of these savesets was multi-plexed on the original
volume(s) then NetWorker will not now multi-plex them on the clone(s)
volumes, so it preserves multi-plexing where it existed before but
doesn't create it where it didn't, correct?

o If you instead run 'nsrclone -b clone_pool -S ssid' for each ssid, one
at a time, then it doesn't matter if the original savesets were
multi-plexed or not. The ones that end up on the clone volumes will not
be. They will have been de-multiplexed as need be, yes?

o If you clone a volume as 'nsrclone -b clone_pool -V volid' then
multiplexing will be preserved on clone(s) wherever it existed before?

o use of '-S file' or '-V file' will do same as above, yes?

Thanks.

George

Yuri Pismerov, Sr. System Administrator,
TUCOWS.COM INC. (416) 535-0123  ext. 1352