Networker

Re: [Networker] why different savesets have same cloneids?

2004-11-03 17:07:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] why different savesets have same cloneids?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:27:52 -0800
> In most cases, it does appear that the nsavetime is very close to the
> cloneid, but it also looks like in most cases where the cloneids are
> identical, the sscreate times are also, but not in the example noted
> above. Just curious why NetWorker would make two cloneids identical if
> the savetime, nsavetime and sscreate are different?

Why not?  It just needs to be unique for a particular ssid.  Only one
clone can be a "backup", so having a value for the cloneid on that copy
that doesn't change much between savesets isn't a problem.  I can
imagine a register set with the sscreate time when savegrp launches.  As
long as nsrclone makes certain that it doesn't have any collisions,
that's fine.

Without the source code, this is all speculation...